Pine applies for grant to update Route 19 adaptive traffic system - PineCreek Journal

Pine applies for grant to update Route 19 adaptive traffic system

Thursday, August 22, 2019 | 1:19 PM

The Township of Pine will apply for a Multimodal Transportation Fund grant to help bring the adaptive traffic system on Route 19 up to date.

The board of supervisors voted to apply for the grant at its August meeting.

PennDOT installed the system that uses cameras, computers, radar and laser sensors to read and adjust signals as needed to improve traffic flow on Route 19 several years ago, but that was the first generation of the technology, Township Manager Scott Anderson told the board.

“Basically, the equipment there is now obsolete,” Anderson said.

The cost of the project will be more than $1 million.

PennDOT recommended the township apply for the grant, which would finance 70% of the cost. The remaining 30% would be split between McCandless and Pine, with Pine responsible for about $300,000 and McCandless for $100,000.

That money could come from the transportation impact fee account and not taxpayer money, Anderson told the board.

Also at the August meeting:

  • The board approved the capital purchase of a new salt brine manufacturing system with a stainless steel hopper to be used for winter road maintenance at the budgeted price of $79,360. The current system it will replace has had issues with breakdowns, and replacement parts for it are difficult to find, according to township public works.
  • The Friends of Pine annual golf outing, held on July 29, attracted 70 golfers and raised more than $20,000 for Friends of Pine parks.
  • Northern Tier Regional Library reported total attendance for its summer learning programs was 5,670. That was up from 4,706 in 2018, with total programs going from 204 to 237. The majority were for children, who had 164 programs. The rest were split between teens, adult and outreach programs.
  • The board also approved the request of the Avonlea Estates Homeowners Association of Phase 1 to opt in to the township’s stormwater maintenance program, and the application for a GEDF grant requesting funding in the amount of $391,258 from the Redevelopment Authority of Allegheny County for the Northbrook Drive Sewer District.
  • With no agenda items to discuss, the board canceled its Sept. 3 meeting.